Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I would like to hear from a dealer or certified mechanic

Customer Question

I would like to hear from a dealer or certified mechanic with experience with a 2005 dodge HEMI 5.7
3 hrs. into our trip today this car did not want to run, I have a flashing red lightining bolt on the dashboard and have a code P2127 TPS switch.
one month ago it did the same thing and had two codes the first one was for a faulty EGR valve, I replaced that with a new dealer part and the car was running good again up to today?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

At this time, it is looking like you will need to diagnose the APPS Sensor Circuit (accelerator pedal position sensor).

Most likely, the sensor itself is faulty and needs to be replaced but it is also possible that there is a wiring issue or the PCM has failed.

I'm going to post the diagnostic procedure for you. If you have the knowledge and tools, you can perform this procedure yourself. You may need a scanner for some tests but may be able to get around using the scanner if one is not available...

Attachment: Click Here

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

____________________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly<b><font color="green">"Rate"</font></b> my service, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, what are the chances i need a part before the dealer closes today? Throttle body? or a sensor? I think id like to do test 11 on your flow chart th test the throttle pos. and do the sweep test but the plug ends on your chart are different then on the car. The plug end of the throttle body on my car uses 6 pins. Or are we not on the same part.
Thx. Jack
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Actually, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor is part of the Accelerator Pedal assembly. This is inside the vehicle attached to the gas pedal. This is sold as an assembly that included the Accelerator pedal and the APPS. see below

Attachment: Click here--to view

If the APPS is bad you will need to replace the Gas Pedal Assembly...

Thank you and let me know if you have additional questions...

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rty service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert, are you there tonight?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Yes I'm on and off today, if you have any questions please post them and I'll answer asap...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so i made it back home with p2127 (240 miles) with no cruise control or overdrive. I did receive your flow chart but not sure where to start. I think i can test the throttle valve and accelerator pedal sensor using a dvom? but i do read about also having to use a scan tool or other fancy device that i do not have. Is there a common part that goes bad with this code?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Correct, you can run the testing with a DVOM. You can follow this chart I posted from the beginning and assuming that the code is active. Run all the wiring checks and if they all pass you can safely assume that the APPS is faulty. This code does not refer to anything on the throttle valve, you will just be testing the accelerator pedal sensor with this flowchart.

For the most part you can get around using the Scanner and use the DVOM to check the voltages when requested.

As for a common failure, I would have to say that the APPS itself would be the most common failure. If you don't want to run through the flowchart, I would probably start by replacing the APPS and go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert