Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1997 dodge ram 3500 cummings diesel…. wouldnt start had

Customer Question

1997 dodge ram 3500 cummings diesel…. wouldnt start had alternator checked said it was bad… replaced it cleaned corroded battery cables and now tach and speedometer dont work and wait to start light doesn't come on…. ugh
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Are there any trouble codes stored?

Will it at least crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts fine. No codes. Just no wait to start light no tach no spedometer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked all battery cables and fuses. Can't find any loose or blown

While running, what is the battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is between 12 and 14

While running the voltage must be between 13-15 volts. Since you got a 12 reading, that is to low and indicates the alternator is weak. The only reason I mentioned this is because low battery voltage or surging voltage can effect the operation of the gauges and lamps in the instrument cluster. Can you monitor the PCM/ECM inputs and outputs to see the tach and speed readings.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already replaced the alternator. Ib not sure how to monitor the PCM and ECM. Please advise my skill level is mediocre at best. :)

Do you have access to a diagnostic tool that can see the readings and functions inside the PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't… where would I get one and what is the PCM?

The PCM/ECM is the vehicles main computer. This tool is expensive 800$ or more. You would not want to buy one. It may be best to let a shop do this part of the diag and repair.