Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical Master,Diesel Specialist, Lead Tech/shop foreman
12781541

My cruise control on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 has stopped

Customer Question

My cruise control on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 has stopped working. When I hit the cruise on button on the steering wheel, the green cruise light on the dash will turn on for about 3 seconds, and then will turn right back off, even if the set button has not been depressed.
After the light on the dash goes out, it will not come back on even if the cruise on/off button is depressed again. I checked the codes, and one of them is a p1683 which so far the only info I can find on that code is it is a speed control relay or speed control 12 V driver circuit fault. Would appreciate some guidance on how to proceed to try to diagnose the problem. Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

I have seen this many times. The speed sensor on the right front hub has gone out.

It will need to be replaced for the cruise control to work again.

Before you just change the speed sensor, I would check the hub for any play in it or and signs of the bearing going out.

If you see any of this, replace the hub. A new hub comes with a new speed sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just took both front wheels off the truck and did not see any speed sensors (or any wires or electrical components at all) on either front hub. Maybe my model year is different and doesn't have speed sensors on the front hubs? Would appreciate some further feedback.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Could I get your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1B7HU18N92J104013
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Even using the VIN.

The right front wheel hub should have a speed sensor located in it.

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that this sensor is for is to operate and control the speed control

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked again and there are no wires of any sort running to the hub assembly on either side. Only thing flexible is the brake Jose connected to the brake caliper
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

It would be on the other side, you would need to remove the rotor to see where the sensor is suppose to be.

That model truck came with a speed sensor going to the left front hub.

Sorry, I know I was right. It is on the drivers front hub. There also should be a two pin connector connected to the inner fender just behind the upper control arm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not any wires running into the left front (drivers side) wheel compartment either. Sorry to be such a pain. I wish it was that simple, I just don't see any speed sensors.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK, that makes no sense...

Has the PCM been checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't taken it in to the dealership to have the PCM scanned. When I do the on,off,on,off,on on the key the only code I get relating to the cruise is a p1683 as I indicated in my original question. That code is a s/c relay or 12V s/c drivers circuit according to what information I have been able to find online. Is there anything I can check to try to narrow it down any further and possibly fix it myself before taking it in to the mechanic?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK, check the voltage at the cruise servo connector with the key on engine off.

DB/RD wire pin 3 of the connector for 12 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not get 12V on any of the wires going into the cruise servo and the negative battery terminal.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

With the ignition off, disconnect the cruise servo, disconnect brake lamp switch connector.

In OHMS check the DB/RD wire in cruise servo to the brake switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got 5.9 ohm reading when checking between the blue/red wire on the brake switch and the blue/red wire on the cruise servo. This is probably elevated some since I had to run a jumper wire out the door of the truck to the front so that I could test continuity, but the circuit is good between the brake switch and the cruise servo.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Diag says, resistance below 5.0 ohms?
No- Repair the open in the circuit.

Yes, replace brake switch

What is the ohm reaing on the piece of jumper wire that you used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like I have a bad test lead on my meter. I was trying to test the resistance on the length of jumper wire that I used and the ohm reading was coming up higher than it did when I tested the circuit and was jumping around a bunch. Tried testing just my two test leads together and got anywhere from 25 ohms to 2 ohms depending on how I jiggled the test leads. I can't say for sure, but I would guess the circuit is fine. I will get a set of test leads and double check tomorrow. I may even pick up a brake switch if they are not too expensive. Thanks for your help.I will let you know what I find out for sure.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK, just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chad,I got new test leads for my meter and I tested my volts at the blue/red wire with the key on, engine off. Still 0 V(8.3 mV). Next retested the ohm reading between the blue/red wire on the brake switch and the speed servo with everything disconnected and got an ohm reading of .5. Went to autozone and purchased new brake switch. Replaced brake switch per instructions supplied with the switch and I still have the exact same symptoms.With engine running in park push cruise on/off button. Cruise light on the dash will illuminate for about 3 seconds and then will turn off. It will then be unresponsive to the cruise on/off button until the engine is turned off and back on again when it will then come on for 3 seconds before turning right back off.Tested voltage on the blue/red wire on the speed servo with the key on/engine off and got 0V.(a few mV to be precise). Tested continuity again and got .5 ohms between the blue/red wire on the brake switch and the blue/red wire on the speed servo. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Is P1683 still the only code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only code relating to the cruise. I do have a P0442 and a P0455 as well, but those are evaporative emission system codes which should not affect the cruise. I have not reset the codes either.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK, I am going to need to figure out how you can do the rest of the testing.

You need to have the DRBIII scan tool to actuate and test the rest of the circuits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming from what you have had me check that the brake switch should send a gig all to the speed servo anytime the key is on, and the pedal is not depressed. Where does the power for this come from? Is there another wire on the switch that I should check for power?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

The other power wire is coming from the cruise switch itself.

Try this, Disconnect the cruise servo, clear the codes, and see what the cruise light does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To clear the codes I have to disconnect the battery for 10 min correct? Also, plug the brake switch connected in?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect both battery terminal, touch them together and hold for 30 seconds.

Yes plug the brake switch in

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Also check G103 in this picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cruise light will not turn on at all now, and new code popped up, P1595.I believe G103 in that picture is the ground that runs from the battery to the body, and there is another lug that has about 6 wires running into it. That connection is good.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK,Has a battery leaked or had alot of corrosion on the terminals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the terminals actuall look really good.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Do you have access to a testing vacuum pump?

Or to a scan tool that you can perform actuation test with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might be able to locate a scan tool, but it wouldn't be tonight. I do not know about a testing vacuum pump. I am an hvac technician and we have vacuum pumps, but would not have any clue if this would work or how to hook it up if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would probably take me a few days to get ahold of a scanner. I need to ask a couple of people if they have one or know of anyone that would have one.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

No, that kind would do more damage than testing.

We have a few options let.

We can ohm test ever wire related to the cruise servo and switch.

Or you can replace the servo.

Or we can resume this after you find a scan tool and a test vacuum pump

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a diagram that has the wires that need to be tested and the ohm values they should have? If so maybe I will try to tackle that over the weekend.If not maybe I am better off taking it in and having someone hook it up. I do appreciate all your help.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Diagrams,Let me know which wire you are testing at which time and I will tell you point to point and an ohm reading for you.

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

They are really both the same diagrams, just each shows points better than the other

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Do you know anyone else with a truck like yours that you could borrow the servo for a minute?

I believe it is the servo that is bad. That is why I am asking, but don't want you to buy 1 if it is not needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. The only person I know that has a dodge (and it is an earlier model 96 or 97 I believe.) just sent his son back to school on the other side of the state and his son took the truck with him.Would the servo be the same on a Durango? I do have a friend that just bought an older one, I think around the same year even. If that is the same servo I could possible take it off of that and try it. Won't be able to get ahold of him until Monday though.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

I think it is the same servo.

You would just need to make sure the connectors are the same and wired the same.

I would need to know exactly what year the durango is to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Why don't we put this conversation on hold until Monday when I can get ahold of him. If I do decide to start testing some of those wires are most of the ohm values below 5, or are there resistors in some of those lines? Also, do I need to disconnect from all components to test? I would assume so, just want to make sure.Thanks again.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK,

Yes Ohm test wires with components disconnect first.

All values should be less that 5.0 ohms.

No resistors in any circuit.

If you do any testing though, if there is a pass thru connector like C130, C119, disconnect the connector and test each side of the circuit. That would narrow down the wire if you do find a problem in 1 circuit. Like the V23 circuit from the PCM to the brake lamp switch. test from PCM connector to C130. Then from the other side of C130 to C219, then the other side of C219 to the brake lamp switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. I will let you know if I find anything.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All circuits tested below 1 ohm resistance. If I plug the harness back into the pcm, should I have 12V coming from the pcm to the yellow/red wire at the brake switch With the key on eugenics off?If I don't does this indicate a faulty PCM? Thanks again for all your help.Also, I don't expect an answer tonight. Just curious if that is the next step in this process. I am going to call it quits for the night.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

No you would need truck running after you press the cruise switch.

You know when the cruise light is illuminated is when you'll have voltage on that wire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why were we testing for 12V on the blue/red wire with the key on/engine off? According to the diagram, the blew red wire is the load side of the brake switch with the line side being the yellow red wire from the PCM to the brake switch.So we are probably looking at a bad component in the system then. A servo, a switch or a PCM?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

That was the wire that Chrysler diag tree said to check. To finish the diag per Chrysler, you need a scan tool and a way to verify that the servo diaphragm will hold vacuum.

Yes, there is a bad component.

If all the wiring tested good, which you said it does, it is a bad component.

I am suspecting the servo because it when you press the switch the first time you say it turns the light on.

Which also means that the PCM is seeing the request and should be sending the power out.

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

You test the Blue side to verify the PCM is powering the circuit and that the brake lamp switch is good.