sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I just had my clutch changed yesterday(friend) and as I have

Customer Question

Hi! I just had my clutch changed yesterday(friend) and as I have gotten home my car(engine) now is very very loud!! And the car is very sluggish but as I have woken up this morning now the engine will hardly even turn over??? I will and can take videos if needed but I did look for exhaust leaks and can't really find one but at the same time when I listened to where it was coming from yesterday.....why the engine was so loud...that extra noise is definitely coming from up front from the engine could the distributor be out of whack?? Can flywheel mis alignment cause this??? But for a start as of this moment the car just will hardly turn over?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the noise started directly after having the clutch replaced I would first suspect there was an issue with it's installation. If the flywheel or pressure plate are loose it will make quite a bit of noise and that could also cause an issue with the engine cranking.

Are you able to turn the engine normally using a socket on the crank damper bolt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I am so sorry I had a medical emergency thesevlast couple of days and have not been home but...... I did drive the truck again today and everything feels completely fine other than how loud and the loss of power the car has now.....no hard shifting and it just feels alright..... I searched under the exhaust system and found what I think "may" be 2 leaks right behind the catalic converter that I will patch tommorow but again I did take a video to let you hear the car and see what you think.....the video isn't very good but it is just meant to mostly let you hear the beginning and what it sounds like during acceleration....thank you bud and please respond back when you can-JakeP.s yes it did start right after the clutch replacment ....I do remember clearly torquing ever bolt down and yes the engine does turn over normally by the damper bolt and it does turn out the reason it wouldn't start the other day was because of....of course some bad luck and the battery died lol but with a new battery it is starting perfectly now...just deal with that extra noise now.....last that extra noise is coming from around the engine?? If it is a leak because the back pressure would that extra noise cone from the engine?? Or around the hole??

The noise you're hearing may just be the exhaust then. If you can upload a video that would be great.

If the converter is restricted that will cause a hissing type noise or a hum from the throttle body on acceleration and will cause a power loss. It's possible that the converter is restricted. With it cool try tapping on the converter and see if it rattles inside, if so then it definitely needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I actually just got done with uploading the video...its not very good but it is good enough to hear what I mean and of course the engine is alot louder in person then on the video but it will be great to hear what you say thanks!p.s. sorry I am trying to upload the video but it is way to large----https://vid.me/4z8U

What I can hear clearly in the video is a large exhaust leak. It's hard to say without hearing in person but it sounds like one of the collectors may be leaking. If you had the Y pipe down to take the trans out one of the collector may not have made it back into position correctly.