Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

I have a 2003 Chrysler T&C minivan. When I turn on the A/C a

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 Chrysler T&C minivan. When I turn on the A/C a few seconds later I start to get a low humming noise from the engine and vibration. This can be felt when I'm sitting in the front seats. Its been going on for a year now. I just had the A/C repaired and it works fine. No humming if the blower is on without the A/C. In fact if I run in idle with no A/C and then turn it on, you can hear a "click" in the engine and then the hum starts low at first and then gets increasingly louder along with the vibration. So the hum and vibration occur while tha car is stationary and stays while I'm driving. Feels like the whole front of the car is vibrating. Weird huh?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll help you with the minivan AC.

The vibration that you describe sounds like the cooling fan motor. When the AC is turned on the click that you hear is the AC compressor clutch engaging to turn the compressor. This is normal. The cooling fan is driven to a high speed when the AC is turned on to keep the condenser cool. The vibration is likely due to the cooling fan motor going bad and having a slight imbalance in the electric motor winding. When you turn the AC off the noise goes away because the fan speed is slowed down which is a different frequency. To fix the issue you will need a new radiator cooling fan.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

picture of cooling fans

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

There are two fans. One is the low speed fan and the other is the high speed that comes on with the AC turned on.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.