Wayne Auto
Wayne Auto, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Associate of Applied Science with a Major in Automotive Technology
72941068

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram turbo Cummins diesel 6.7 liter I

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram turbo Cummins diesel 6.7 liter I just finished rebuilding the engine . The engine runs and sounds great but I do have 5 trouble codes I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of I must have missed the ground wire or a power wire. The codes are p0102 p0487 p2141 u010c p144f
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

P0102-MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR 'A' CIRCUIT LOW

P0487-EGR AIRFLOW THROTTLE CONTROL CIRCUIT A OPEN

P2141-EGR AIRFLOW THROTTLE CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW

P144F-EGR COOLER BYPASS STATUS LINE CIRCUIT HIGH

U010C-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH TURBOCHARGER CONTROL MODULE

As you can see most of these codes are relating to the EGR system, while one is relating to the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and one which isn't as clear in it's description indicates a problem in communication between the Powertrain Control Module and the Turbocharger VGT Actuator. Some of these codes may be causing others as these all revolve around airflow and the EGR system so don't expect to find each component unplugged or defective.

Start by making sure your EGR Valve is plugged in securely as a bad connection to the EGR valve or a bad EGR valve can actually set all but one of your codes. Then check your connection at your EGR cooler bypass valve and next check your connection at the VGT actuator as your U010C code most typically indicates a bad connection or a bad actuator; finally make sure your Mass Air Flow sensor is plugged in securely. Once you've found something clear all the codes and run the engine again to see if anything comes back, if something does come back or if you don't find any bad connections then just let me know and I'll continue to work with you to help resolve your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the EGR circuits that are throwing the codes share the same power or ground I can't seem to find a wiring diagram could you load one up for me thank you
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

As I reviewed diagrams from the factory service manual I think I may have found your problem, everything you are having an issue with shares a power supply from Fuse #37 in your under hood fuse box, this fuse supplies power through the smart power relay, so I suspect that either this fuse is blown or your smart power relay is defective. Check the Pink/Orange wire on your Mass Airflow Sensor for power, if you don't have power on this wire then your problem is most likely Fuse #37, the Smart Power Relay, or the wire itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the truck here right now but I will check fuse number 37 I was thinking maybe that is what the problem is because I did have a ground hooked up in the wrong spot when I initially install the engine but it is in the right spot now so thank you for your time and I will let you know probably on Monday
Expert:  Wayne Auto replied 1 year ago.

Ok I'll wait to hear back from you, hopefully it's just that fuse.