Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

98 Dakota Sport 2.5L. Ran out of gas, will not restart.

Customer Question

98 Dakota Sport 2.5L. Ran out of gas, will not restart. intermittent pressure at the rail. Not confirmed with pressure gauge. What would cause fuel not to build pressure? Air in the system? Leaking gas cap? Sudden fuel pump failure from running dry? Anyone have an idea?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Randall, About 95% of the time? failures like this happen on run out of fuel and no start at the gas pumps, I know this sounds extreme BUT,, What happens? you run out of gas, Gas is ice cold from in ground tanks, You refill with the cold gas on a pump in the tank that has been running weak persay, Cold fuel hits the pump, shocks it and then you get exact symptoms you have, Pump tries, may even run but, is worn, shocked by the cold new gas, and Likely? you have a bad fuel pump, I am sorry if found as "bad news" but by symptoms, what happened and experinece of many years and what we see most often? you have a bad fuleel pump. Most pump failures happen right at the gas pump,