Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

I HAVE A DODGE CARAVAN AND THE KEYFOB IS DEAD IT HAS BEEN

Customer Question

I HAVE A DODGE CARAVAN AND THE KEYFOB IS DEAD IT HAS BEEN BARLEY WORKING THE LAST YEAR I SHOULD HAVE HAD THE BATTERY REPLACED IN IT BUT DIDN'T I WENT TO OPEN THE DOORS TODAY AND IT WAS DEAD SO I PULLED OUT THE KEY THING ON THE END OF IT TO GET INTO THE VAN BUT NOW THE KEYFOB WON'T START THE VAN IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I NEED THE NEW BATTERY IN THE KFOB TO EVEN START THE VAN I CAN'T EVEN GET THE POWER LOCKS TO WORK NOW THERE IS A FAIRLY NEW BATTERY IN THE VAN SO IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT???
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Vlad.

Your key should start the car even if the key battery if flat but you can't lock/unlock the car with the keyfob without the key battery, but central locking should still work from the door switches. I would start from checking the car battery, it is quite possible it is just flat. See if you lights or horn work unless you have a voltmeter to check it properly. You cat try to jump start it just to make sure it is not the car battery.

If that does not help, than you may need to have it checked with a scan tool. If I remember correctly , Caravans have had some issues with Wireless control Module ( the part where you inset your key) and it might require software update or reset with a factory scan tool.

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Just checking if you need more information and would also be nice to know what you found.

Regards,

Vlad