sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

The battery in my '05 Durango died. I have since replaced it

Customer Question

Good morning. The battery in my '05 Durango died. I have since replaced it but now my CD player is no longer recognized and I'm having other electrical issues (low tire warning light and Cargo Lamp warning lights on the dash). Suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Depending on what you're actually seeing with the radio it has most likely failed. Radios are very sensitive to voltage spikes and proper battery handing procedures, it isn't uncommon for them to fail after a jump start, battery disconnect, etc. If the radio does power up but it won't switch to play CD's that does indicate internal failure. If it won't power up at all then it could be a loss of power or ground but if the interior lights and power locks work then odds are power is ok. What would need to be done is remove the radio and test it's power, ground and communication bus voltage before condemning it.

The tire pressure monitor warning light is either on because a tire is low, there is a sensor or trigger module issue. The first thing that should be done is check tire pressures. If pressures are ok or the light is flashing rather than staying on solid then fault codes from the wireless control module will need to be read.

Are you able to upload a picture of the other light you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You for the response. The radio works just fine, but will not switch to CD. In fact, each time you open a door (if the car is not already running) you can hear the CD player make noises as though a CD is stuck in the player. It is odd. I'm supposing you are right - the radio probably shorted out. Based on your initial response the only way to know for sure is to pull the radio, right?In terms of the tire pressure monitor - all tires are properly inflated. The warning light never appeared until the battery completed died and I had to put a new battery in (the old battery wouldn't even take a jump). The warning light is on constantly (not flashing). It sounds like you'll need the fault codes.I have not captured a picture of the Cargo Light warning. It's odd - as I don't have a Cargo Light per se. However, if I open the hatch and close it again while the car is running I can almost always get that warning to clear.Neither the low tire pressure or the Cargo Light warnings were ever an issue before the battery replacement.Any other suggestions?Thanks!

Fault codes will definitely need to be read if the tire pressures are correct, it has been driven and the light won't go out.

If the radio does power up and work then the powers and grounds are good, the CD issue is an internal failure which will require the radio to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for dropping off the conversation for a few days. I was on vacation. Next question - how do I go about reading the fault codes? I suppose that will involve a trip to a mechanic as a scanner is likely required. True?

Yes, a scan tool will be necessary to read the fault codes.