Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I have counted the pins in between the camshalf and i end up

Customer Question

I have counted the pins in between the camshalf and i end up with 12. I started lining up the crankshaft and none of the marks will line up with the marks on the chain. Do i need to rotate the camshafts to match up the links on the chain?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 27+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Yes, you need to rotate the cams to align the main chain. The exhaust cams are timed to the intake cams first by using the correct dots and plated links on the exhaust cam chains (Secondary chains). After the exhaust cams are timed to the intake cams, the cam assemblies are then rotated to align the primary timing chain.. This chain can be assembled with the cam sprocket bolts out then the chain installed and timed properly with all sprockets. Then after installing the primary chain and guides and tensioner. you can at that time rotate the cams using a 3/8 extension in the center of the intake cams to properly align the cams to the cam sprockets and primary chain. The Exhaust cams will no longer be lined up after installing the cam sprocket bolts. They will be rotated somewhat from their original positions..
If you need a procedure and illustrations, let me know, I should be able to find the needed info for you...
Thank you,
Robert