Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel My husband is driving across the

Customer Question

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel My husband is driving across the country from Wisconsin to California pulling a 31 ft travel trailer and his CEL has come on in Nebraska. He got oil changed before he left but mechanic did not clear the service required alert. He says it's running fine and wants to know if the CEL will blink if it's serious...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the CEL is on, yet there are no noticeable symptoms or performance issues, more than likely, the problem is emissions related. Not resetting the Oil Reminder will not have anything to do with the CEL coming on. First and foremost, check the fuel cap and make sure it's tight and sealed correctly. If the cap is good, then we'll need the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") to more accurately determine the root of the problem. There are literally hundreds of parts/sensors monitored that when faulty will set the CEL, so to take a guess and be correct would be impossible. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If the p-codes point to an "EVAP" problem, it's perfectly safe to drive the vehicle as this is for emissions control/recovery only. If the problem lies anywhere else, dependiong on what it is would determine the necessity for immediate repair or not. If the light starts "flashing" - yes, this means the problem is much more severe. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.