Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

My boyfriend has a 1999 Dodge GRCARSE/SP the Vin is

Customer Question

Hi my boyfriend has a 1999 Dodge GRCARSE/SP the Vin is 1B4GP44G1XB923933 and the lights on the dash are not working. I can see the gas gauge but its not going up when it should it stays on empty. Initially, the problem occurred intermittently, I could shut the engine off and then turn it back on and everything would work. Now nothing works no matter what I do. I checked all of the fuses yesterday and they were all working so I am wondering if it could have something to do with the relay system?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Goood afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

If it's still acting up, try this for me.

Slap the dash above the instrument cluster a few times with the key on to see if it comes back to life. The cluster's printed circuit board may have a cracked solder joint in the ground feed to the unit, which is something that happens fairly often. If a few physical jolts have a positive effect on it, I'll send you some information on how to remove the board and repair it yourself.

Talk shortly,

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He tried to slap the dash a few times but nothing happened. Since this is the case can you offer any other suggestions as to what it could be?

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Of course! The dash slap thing is just a really handy diagnostic tool that works when it darn well pleases. We can work around that.

The next thing I'd like you to check is the voltage present on two terminals in your Data Link Connector/ DLC, the odd trapezoid-shaped open ended connector under the driver's side dash (used for scan tool hookup). The terminals are the actual communication network between vehicle systems, called the CCD bus and you'll find them as the 3rd terminal from the left in each row.

Set your digital voltmeter to 20 volts DC, ground the black test terminal lead and touch the red test lead to each of these terminals with the key on. Normal voltage will be right around 2.5v, with the voltage fluttering in the two digits right of the decimal, which shows data streaming past. The operating range of the CCD bus is between 2.3 and 2.6 volts, so if you find something different -- or that the voltage in terminals right of the decimal don't change rapidly -- we've got a bus problem. The cluster relies on this information to operate its gauges and warning lights, so we'll have some more digging to do. (spoiler alert). If your readings are above 7.0v, we'll still be looking at the cluster as a root cause of the problem.

We'll see.

Talk in a bit,

Ed