vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

My husband's truck said it will only go 120 more miles and

Customer Question

My husband's truck said it will only go 120 more miles and then only be able to go 5mph. The engine light is saying something is wrong with dif but he added dif before he left any ideas why it is doing this
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.

Evening, the message your getting is related to an issue with the DEF system. The cause can be multiple things. It can be a pump issue, sprayer issue, DEF quality issue, reaction tube issue, or a SCR catalyst issue. The first step is that we need the codes that are set. The code will give us a direction to go in. Otherwise we are guessing. As a vehicle owner.....there isn't much you will be able to do. You can only make sure that the DEF tank is filled correctly. Otherwise to test the fluid requires both test strips and a refractometer. The other tests that may be required is the DEF tank pump and spray test. This requires a scanner that can actuator both the pump and spray nozzle. Most scanners will not perform this except for the high end ones. The results of each test will lead in a direction to go next. I wish there was something simple I could tell you to check but everything else at this point will require the proper test equipment. Any issues with the DEF system will set codes and also the message your getting.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.

Evening, as experts on this site......we make nothing in the form of payment for the work we perform. When you sign up on this site.....you place a "deposit" before asking your question. The "deposit" does not get used until you accept the answer and leave positive feedback. Then and only then do the experts answering questions on here get compensated. It is not automatic and requires your input. If you still need further help then feel free to reply back and I will help you further. Otherwise to be compensated on my end....I need your acceptance. Thanks again for letting me help you