vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

I got a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan. My drivers side door will

Customer Question

Hi there. I got a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan. My drivers side door will NOT close shut. I hear the motor trying to engage the locking mechanism over and over again, but it will not close and "secure the door". The door will also not remain closed manually. I am using a rope. I have already changed the track. There is no debris at all in the area. I changed the actuator only to find it is the same problem. Same sound when trying to "seat and secure the door". This have nothing to do with the unlock and lock. I also made sure the child safety switch is not engaged. I also took it to my mechanic. He had no idea. I even pulled the fuse for a reset. Help please
Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.

Evening.....you mentioned you replaced the actuator....are you speaking of the latch assembly? The only actuator I know on that system is for the power locks in that door. I just want to clarify what was replaced so that I have a better picture of whats going on .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. You hear the motor trying over and over to engage the the door after a moment it just reopens. It almost appears to reopen by some sensor telling it not to engage the final step in securing the door. telling it not to engage to a secure closed door. That's way I started with the track, then the acuator, and ensuring nothing is impeding or block the track or the door

The system on this vehicle has its own control module. Each sliding door does. The system can be accessed with a high end scanner such as the OEM scanner that we use at the dealership. The module can detect issues and even set codes. Other features are that you can see why the door doesn't close or what inhibited it. At this point you did replace some common issues but it wasn't diagnosed properly. Its like throwing parts at the vehicle being able to access the power sliding door module much like you access the engine controller for a check engine light. Only difference is that the sliding doors will not cause an error light to come up. I can only recommend one direction and that is scanning the module. That scanner will need to be able to show data related to the door and sensors and also be able to actuate each feature of the sliding door. I wish I could tell you what part to replace or what to test but that would be wrong and not accurate because its a computerized system that requires special checking with the proper scanner.

I can only speak of the OEM DRBIII scanner that we use at the dealership. I have no personal experience with aftermarket scanners and can not tell you which would be best to use or which will be able to access the data we need.

Evening, checking back to see if you are going to have access to a scanner to communicate with the sliding door module. If so then let me know what the codes are so that I can help you further. Otherwise you will need to possibly visit the dealer where they have the correct equipment to check it further. If not further help can be given due to the situation and the equipment needed, I ask that you close the question out by accepting the answer so that it can be taken off the active list. Thanks

Evening, as experts on this site......we make nothing in the form of payment for the work we perform. When you sign up on this site.....you place a "deposit" before asking your question. The "deposit" does not get used until you accept the answer and leave positive feedback. Then and only then do the experts answering questions on here get compensated. It is not automatic and requires your input. If you still need further help then feel free to reply back and I will help you further. Otherwise to be compensated on my end....I need your acceptance. Thanks again for letting me help you