Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

01 DODGE 3500 DIESEL, HYDROBOOST. NO POWER STEERING AT IDLE,

Customer Question

01 DODGE 3500 DIESEL , HYDROBOOST. NO POWER STEERING AT IDLE, BRAKES SEEM OK. ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO REPLACED POWER STEERING PUMP AND GEAR BOX. LOST POWER STEERING COUPLE WEEKS AGO. REPLACED PUMP. NO CHANGE. USED CHRY. POWER STEERING TESTER. HAVE PROPER PRESSURE AND FLOW TESTING BEFORE AND AFTER HYDROBOOST. HAVE RETURN FLOW OF FLUID FROM GEAR. STILL HAVE NO ASSIST AT IDLE. ????
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** was the pressure after the hydroboost, at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think 100 to 140. The gauge isn't printed per increments very well. When try to turn steering wheel at idle it goes to 1450 . High pressure relief
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
140 psi is not high enough, it needs a minimum of 300, what does the pressure go up to when you raise the throttle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont remember. Did test last week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mainly loooked.at idle and working pressure.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
well, 140 psi is not enough, did you use a remanned pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
reman pressure at idle according to identifix test all ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will ck back with you tomorrow.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
let me know,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THINK I HAVE THINGS CALMED DOWN IN SHOP SOME. QUESTION THE RETURN LINES ON BACK OF P/S PUMP DOES IT MATTER THE POSITION THEY ARE IN. ONE IS FROM HYDROB. AND OTHER GEAR BOX. HAVE PUT THEM BACK SAME WAY THEY CAME OFF. BUT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THATS WORK ON IT. CAN HYDRO BOOST EFFECT IT IF IM GETTING FULL FLOW AND PRESSURE GOING TO GEAR ? BOTH PARTS ARE FROM NAPA. - UNDER PART WARR . FROM INSTALL 6 MONTHS AGO.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No, the return will not make a difference s both just return to the resevoir, if the hydroboost works, but not the p/s steering, then it has to be a bad gear box, but I am still concerned about the low pressure, you said at an idle, it does not work, but if the rpms are brought up, the ps does work, is this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YOU CAN FEEL SOME ASSIST AT LETS SAY 1500-2000 RPM BUT ITS STILL HAVE TO 2 HAND THE STEERING WHEEL TO TRY TURNING. HAD SOMEONE HEAR AT SHOP DRIVE TRUCK AND AS LONG AS RPM UP AND MOVING COULD STEER OK BUT IF LET OFF GAS TO USE BRAKE AND CLUTCH, YOU AINT HARDLY GOING TO MAKE IT TURN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AGREE IT SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE IN THE GEAR BOX. BUT I ALSO WOULD HOPE ONE NOT WORKING, INSTALLED ANOTHER AND NO CHANGE. MAKES ME ????
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
you have replaced the gearbox since this started, I thought you said it was done 6 months ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOOKED BACK ON MY NOTES, AND I APOLIGIZE I DID LEAVE OUT THAT I ALSO PUT ANOTHER GEAR BOX ON, PRESSURE TESTED BEFORE. GEAR BOX WAS REPLACED 2ND TIME. NO CHANGE IN STEERING. BEFORE OR AFTER. I HAVE READ ABOUT VAC PUMP NOT TURNING POWERSTEERING PUMP BUT I WOULD THINK I WOULD HAVE A FLOW OR PRESSURE ISSUE IF THAT WAS THE CASE.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
No, the vacuum pump will not be the problem, I have seen numerous bad remanned pumps, the only company rebuilding these is A1 cordone, and there quality control is horrible, 2 years ago, I went through 4 rebuilt pumps, each one was bad out of the box, I started to doubt my diagnosis, but then install a new one from the dealer, and VOILA it worked, the old pumps would only put out 160 at idle, the brand new one put out 300 at idle, and this has happened at the shop twice since then, all with A1 cordone remanned pumps,Timn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, NOT DOUGHTING THAT BUT THE DEALER TEST ACCORDING TO ALL DATA SHOWS READING SHOULD READ BELOW 150 AT IDLE. IF ABOVE CK FOR RESTRICTIONS. I ASSUME YOUR NEXT MOVE WOULD BE TO REPLACE PUMP WITH A FACTORY PUMP ? WAS THE 300 PSI AT REST OR TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
at rest when idling, turning the wheel will bring it up over 1400 psi,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it will above idle, get to over 1400. still hard to turn. do I need to borrow the tester again ?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
nO, IF THE PRESSURE GOES OVER 1400 AND ITS STILL HARD TO TURN, THEN HAS O BE IN THE GEAR BOXX, NOW THIS ASSUMNG, THERE IS NOT TIGHTNESS IN THE BALL JOINTS AND IT TURNS FINE WHEN THE HWEELS ARE OFF THE GROUND,tIM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are still there. Have gotten the spec. Tool back. Bypassed hydroboost. Idle have 100 psi and 2.5 gpm. Hard ster. Rev eng. Ster. Little easier but not good. Pressure going to 12-1300 psi but i noticed gpm droping to 1 and if i hold it almost 0 gpm. Shouldn't my gpm still be up