Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 97 dakota 2.5l l4. With a 5 speed manual. I

Customer Question

I have a 97 dakota 2.5l l4. With a 5 speed manual. I recently bought it. The previous owner neglected it. And let it sat for a while. When I got it. I noticed some drivability issues. Stumbling on the verge of stalling out. Huge loss of power. Couldn't get out of its way with no load and no a/c on. So I changed the plugs which were very done, cap n rotor which was corroded. And wires even though they looked fine. Ran great for a day or 2. Then it started to bog down and stumble again and with loss of power. Had it scanned. Map had low voltage and o2 read lean condition. This told me vacuum leak. So I pulled the air cleaner assembly off to gain access to all the vacuum lines and such and then sprayed throttle body cleaner on the intake gasket area with engine at idle and it bogged down. So I replaced the intake/exhaust combo gasket and it ran great again for about a day. Now it runs ok with no a/c but still lacks power until higher rpms then I can feel a touch more.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the a/c on it runs like before. I checked the distributor and as far as I can tell its fine. Also cleaned the throttle body and iac. And changed the map sensor and thinking of doing the o2 as well. Don't know what else to do.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
With everything you have done the next thing you need to check is to install a fuel pressure gauge and monito the fuel pressure when the problem is occurring, normal pressure needs to be right at 49 PSI, plus or minus 5 PSI. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I was thinking about that this am. Cleared the codes last night and a code returned this am. Running lean still. So after work I will get a fuel pressure gauge and go from there.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the fuel pressure is low and or dropping it will cause the lean codes to set. let get the pressure check and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the pressure tester. But there is no schrader valve or a way I can hook this gauge up.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The gauge has to be tee into the fuel line down stream of the fuel pressure regulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well could the oxygen sensor possibly be bad and causing this? Because the guys at the parts store said that was a possibility. And approximately where would the fuel pressure regulator be? All I can see is the fuel line coming up from the trans tunnel, underneath the intake manifold then into the fuel rail. And nothing other than injectors are attached to the rail.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

A bad HO2S senor will not usually cause a lack of power but an exhaust leak can cause a HO2S code to set. Nor fuel pressure needs to be right at 49 PSI plus or minus 5 PSI. To check the fuel pressure you need the adapter kit. See it in the link below. The regulator is in the fuel pump so connect you adapter in the line to the fuel rail.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Adapter%20Aug%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I haven't been able to find the adapter for the fuel pressure tester. So I just went ahard and replaced the O2 sensor and it straightened everything out. It runs fine now. Other than not having the power I'm used to due to it only having 120hp and I'm used to 300 lol. It runs fine. Thanks for your help though.