Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

Have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8l. The a/c stopped

Customer Question

have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8l. The a/c stopped working. All blowers work. It has freon. No power to compressor. I put power to pos leg on compressor everything works. I checked power to limit switch.. no power. I even put a new one on just in case
but still did not work. Only fuse I could find for HVAC was a 10 amp and its good. I do not know of another fuse box in this van. I checked all fuses and replaxced all relays with another van I have here for parts and still not working unless I put power to
the compressor. I have tried battery disconnect, did not work, replaced TIPM module still no work, only code set is U1412.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Does your scan tool have live data or actuator tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.

Does the van show the outside temperature in the overhead console?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not over head but it does in dash says S 84 degrees

OK then the ambient temp sensor is good. To check the rest you need a scan tool with live data and access to the HVAC Control Head. Without it you will be guessing and it could get very expensive. Is there any way you can get your hands on a decent scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got another scanner. Ambient temp on scanner says 93 degrees while dash says 84 degrees. I have no other things like a/c request

Whats the A/C pressure sensor reading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on gauge or scanner?

Both if possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
scanner does not support. a/c gauge 44 low 215 high

Does the scan tool have the option to connect to the ATC?

Or is it just generic OBD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
generic

From everything you are capable of checking the only determination you are going to come to is that you cannot pinpoint the issue with your available tools. You are going to need to get your hands on a capable scan tool or get this thing in the hands of someone who does have the proper scan tool or just start taking guesses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only thing I haven't replaced is the a/c head unit. I still can not find a wiring diagram so I can trace from head to compressor

Unfortunately it doesnt run from the control head to the compressor. The control head sends signals over the CAN network to the TIPM and PCM which then send out voltage where needed which is why you need a scan tool to check any further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought a CAN protocol scanner, will be here in 1 hr

OK. When you get it start by connecting to the HVAC control head and pull codes from it and let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried but it would not read

It has the option to connect to the HVAC module but when attempting to connect to it it doesnt connect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will not communicate no option to do so

OK. Then we are no further ahead with this new scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the a/c head unit with one out of a running van. It made no difference. Todate I have replaced the following....TIPM, a/c head, limit switch any ideas? I need to get this fixed this week. Do you have a wiring diagram for tha a/c head so maybe I can trace to power?