-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2005 Chrysler Pacifica

Customer Question

2005 Chrysler Pacifica
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

What's going on with your Pacifica?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What isn't would more likely be the question...We pulled out the dash to replace the lower part of the blower box. Put it all back together, bled the coolant system, charged the A/C...all is good, runs well, everything is working. Customer pulls out of the shop and states that the dash went blank driving down the road. We get the car back and when the key is turned to position 2 (position right before engine turns over), the dash and gauges are all blank. When we turn the key back to position 1 (acc) ALL the lights come on and the gas gauge registers....then after 4 seconds all lights and gas gauge shut off again. The engine can and will start and run for about 10 seconds then shuts off. We have pulled the lower dash back apart and checked all connections and pis. All grounds we removed are solid. Connected Maxidas 708 to car but can't connect to the BCM. We are sporadically getting the check immobilizer message on the display panel.What are we missing or is this a separate issue? Been at this for 6 hours and are pretty irritated at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there Brad?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

This is a security issue if the check immobilizer is showing. What codes are setting? Can you talk with all the modules on the BUS? What's the last 8 of the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last 8 are: 5R305406Scanner won't/can't communicate with body module. I also tried to hook up my cheap hand-held code reader but the key/dash won't stay on long enough to read the codes...or even tell me if there are any. When I had my good scanner hooked up, I didn't try to talk with any other modules as I figured the errors would be within the body module. After I couldn't communicate with it, that made me further believe that's where the problem lies.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

It would be very helpful if you had a WiTech as I use at the dealership.. On a CAN BUS vehicle like the Pacifica it would show a Topography screen similar to the attached screen which would help in determining a dead module on the BUS... Now is the bulkhead tight and all the connectors you disconnected? I know this issue is tough to find but we have to have somewhere to start.. Can you see if you get any codes from the SKIM module or any code from any module really because 1 bad module will set codes in the rest saying nobody can talk to it.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhm6oxbk6i06c4p/Screenshot%202014-07-15%2008.29.39.png?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, we ran the ground wires for the modules and all were good. Ran the diagnostics for the BCM and according to Mitchell's the BCM is bad as the last test lit up the test light. We tried once again to connect any scanner to the vehicle but when it powers itself off after 4 seconds it make connectivity impossible...I wonder how I would even use your scanner as it connects to the OBD II connector, correct? If I'm missing something please point m in the right direction. Nothing we do seems to make a difference.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Our WiTech does connect to the ODBII connector but it will still boot up even if 1 or 2 modues are down.. On the topograpgy it will show the modules in red.. At that point you would need to test for 12v and ground and if good then replace the module..

Being you didn't have an issues before pulling the dash, I would think you have a wiring issue or a pinched wiring harness somewhere..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree, it one of my techs and that's what I've been saying since this happened. We've pulled all the panels under the steering wheel but the other half is buried under the dash subframe on the passenger side.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what you find..