Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

My son has a 2001 dodge truck...5.9 engine. It started this

Customer Question

My son has a 2001 dodge truck...5.9 engine.It started this morning, ran for a minute then stopped running. He says it turns over good but won't start?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed. Based on probability alone, I'd expect this to be a bad fuel pump . We don't have many instances of failing cam or crank sensors on the 5.9 liter engine, but fuel pumps do go out from time to time. We'll see.

To begin, roll the key on and listen for a 1-second HUMMM activation of the fuel pump, located in the middle of your fuel tank. It's easiest heard when kneeling at about the fuel fill area, below the left middle of the truck. If you hear no momentary hum when rolling the key on, enlist the services of a helper and we'll continue.

Have the helper pound on the bottom-middle of the fuel tank while you crank the engine (no reason why you should get the bad job). Aged fuel pumps often respond favorably to this sort of abuse right after they've quit running, but you have to be cranking the engine at the moment for this to be effective. Power is supplied to the fuel pump continuously only when the engine computer senses engine rotation, which is why we need someone to crank the engine and another to jostle the pump at the same time.

If it fires up, it's a positive fuel pump diagnosis, but the pump isn't fixed. This technique is really good only for diagnostic purposes and you can't trust the pump ever again. If a repair facility is nearby and you feel it would be safe enough to drive it there, you might try that (stick to back roads if possible). If not effective, let me know and we'll press on from there.

Good luck! Ed