Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

What has to be done to solve the Black Death problem on one

Customer Question

What has to be done to solve the Black Death problem on one cylinder of my 2006 sprinter van? Wet appearance and black dots around the injector.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. This is Robert, I will do my best to help you on this concern.
Basically, the problem is caused by one or more of the injector copper sealing washers not being seated properly and some of the compression pressure is getting past this sealing washer.
What must be done to solve the problem is to remove the affected injector(s) and clean the injector housing and the bore in the cylinder head thoroughly. After each is thoroughly clean you can replace the copper washer and the injector hold down bolt and torque to specs.
Sometimes, if the black substance is hard and built up around the injector, you must chip away at the substance until you break enough of it off so as to be able to remove the injector.
Sometimes in extreme cases, you must damage the injector in order to remove it. In these cases, the damaged injector must be replaced...
______________________________________
If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .
Thank you!
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** have to buy these washers and bolts somewhere and probably should have an injector if I don't want to be broke down waiting to get an injector. You say clean the cylinder bore? I thought the bore would be under the head. What are we talking about exactly with the bore? What should I buy the bolt and washers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Robert, I started out of the drive this morning and got an engine light back on. Codes now are P0672-cyl 2 glow plug circuit open, P0671 same 1 cyl, and P0380 glo plug heater circuit open. Cut open the braided sleeve, inspected as good as I could, see no sign of wear on any insulation. Do you think we are in the right area? Different codes but in same area of problems-suspect module or something similar. Any more ideals?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
As for the copper washers and hold down bolts, you can purchase them at your local dealer or from Ebay... Click here to Visit
Yes, it would be a good idea to have an injector on hand, same thing, dealer or internet....
The bore that I am referring to is the bore that the injector is mounted in. This bore is part of the cylinder head. Less than 1" diameter. a good rifle cleaning brush would suffice to clean out this bore. Make sure that you in fact do remove the old copper washer as it may stay at the bottom of this bore when removing the injector..
Ok the check engine light and codes that are now coming up will not affect engine operation or cause it to stall. These codes are glow plug related codes and to fix these codes you will need to replace all 5 glow plugs and the glow plug module. Glow plugs are ONLY used to warm the combustion chambers during cold start operation they in no way affect engine running after it is already started....
Has it stalled again since yesterday?
I still think you are on the right track, you may possibly have one or more bad injectors if it happens to stall again with the P020* codes since you already inspected the harness and found nothing....
Keep me posted and let me know if you have additional questions...
Thank you,
Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert