Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

HOW DO YOU CHANGE OUT THE IGNITION SWITCH CYLINDER ON A 1989

Customer Question

HOW DO YOU CHANGE OUT THE IGNITION SWITCH CYLINDER ON A 1989 DODGE D-100
I AM NOT A MECHANIC SO I NEED DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU WANT TO ANSWER
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, for starters, do you have the tools to remove the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randall,,sorry for the delay in getting back to you, my computer was giving me a fit and I had to have it straightened out by
my grandson. Your response to my question was a question to me, ie "Do I have the tools required to remove the steering wheel? Since I have no idea of what tools would be required, I will not try to do this job myself, just have it done by a local
repair shop a mile down the road.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Understood, I was only info gathering, It takes 3 special tools,. You had only mentioned no screw, thought you did at first posty so thought you were into the column,. The steering wheel is removed, then? a special lock plate that locks the steering wheel, hard to remove, takes special tool as wll, then turn signal switch, then a couple small items then? the switch is held in by a tab/slot meaning, you have to insert a screwdriver blade in the slot, depress a tba, to release the lock cylinder etc, The tools are at all parts stores, dont cost much and can still send the procedure but, it is not a 123 job, not too hard but again not the easiest if never done before, Please LMK if I can help in any way