Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.
66997337

2002 dodge ram 5.9 diesel. code po341 and not rpm on gage

Customer Question

2002 dodge ram 5.9 diesel. code po341 and not rpm on gage after 10 seconds of runing.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

This is usually a bad cam position sensor. You need a lab scope to test it. I assume you dont have one. If not considering it isnt all that much to replace I would just try a new sensor. Use a mopar sensor.. these dont like aftermarket sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already replaced the sensor twice . replace the ecm with a reman unit. check the wiring to the ecm and all test ok .
When i start the truck it shows rpms for a few seconds and then rpm go down and engine light comes on. after i clear the code
i get rpms again just for a few seconds . it is not the sensor and is not the ecm.

Do you have a lab scope?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i dont . i have a solus scanner but no labscope .

Have you checked the three wires at the sensor with a multimeter? That wont give you accurate readings but it will tell us if anything is happening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im a mechanic i have mitchel and i did the pinpoint chart for code po341 all the wiring test ok from sensor to ecm and to ground. i have 4.78 v . good ground and good continuity to ecm in the gray wire. wen i jump the gray wire and the violet wire on and off i see a change in the scanner for cmp rpm . also the fuel lift pump starts running which im not sure if it should

If everything electrical is correct then all that is left is the tone wheel on the camshaft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why then when the truck starts after i cleared the code it shows rpm for a few seconds and then it stops

It takes a little bit before it stops spinning. It happens sometimes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont think you know any more that i do . thanks

I know if you are confident in your testing the only thing left is the tone wheel.

I cant make you confident but I can walk you through retesting and if the results are the same then the tone wheel is the issue.