Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 1999 Dodge ram van that have cutting off problem

Customer Question

i have a 1999 Dodge ram van that have cutting off problem after running for about 20 to 30 minutes and will not restart until later, so far have replaced fuel pump. crank sensor, cam sensor, coolant temperature sensor, coil, i need some help, engine size is 5.9
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! From what you are saying, the problem is most likely the PCM (engine computer). I see this happen all the time on these vans when they get a lot of miles on them. The PCM is failing internally when the under hood temperatures get high. One way to confirm this is to have a shop or auto parts store check for any trouble codes soon after it stalls and then restarts. If there are no codes at all, then replace the PCM. Another clue that it is the PCM is that the OBD2 readiness monitors will reset to an "incomplete" or "not ready" status right after it stalls.
I hope this information helps!!
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was one thing that i had left out of my previous post that the CPU has been replaced twice once at a dealer and another time by me with a part from a local part supplier
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, when you replaced the crank and cam sensors, did you get them from the dealer or a local part supplier?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
local part store
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Just FYI, I have had many issues when using after market cam and crank sensors on Chrysler built vehicles. Use ONLY OEM Mopar cam and crank sensors. See if you can get those from your dealer. I have a feeling that this will fix it.
Chris