Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

07 ram 2500, 5.9, 225,00 miles. Suddenly, in traffic, engine

Customer Question

07 ram 2500, 5.9, 225,00 miles.
Suddenly, in traffic, engine surged to 3400 in gear. Got it to dealer where it would not shut off. Ran, in parking gear, and kept surging from 2,400 to 3,400. All techs gone home except one. I removed air cleaner and he hit it with powdered fire extinguisher. Finally shut off. There was no discoloration of exhaust gas.
For a couple months when at 190 degrees, or whatever the thermostat is set at, the engine spins like crazy for an extended period, probably 10-12 seconds before it will start.
About a week ago when starting a cold engine there is a burst of white exhaust smoke. Did it a couple times that I saw. Not consistently
Any ideas what could be wrong? Are the things I told you related?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Additional pieces of puzzle. After truck was shut down by fire extinguisher electrical system continued to function. With key off radio continued to play etc. I hooked an OBD reader to the port. But before I did I had to unplug something from the port. At one time the truck had a Quadzilla programmer hooked up. When I unhooked the programmer from the port everything electrical worked properly. That is to say the electrical components went off. I plugged the old programmer back in and the electrical components, ie the radio came back on. The programmer has been unhooked from the battery for 2-3 years. Maybe more. I had the truck flashed after the programmer was removed from the battery. Hope this extra information helps. Tom
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Although I suspect a sticking throttle body throat plate or actuator, which I definitely would inspect, I believe the first step is to have the ecm reflashed, just in case whatever was still connected to the obd2 data link connector port was messing with the ecm.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks