Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Starter will not engage to start engine... Had new starter

Customer Question

starter will not engage to start engine... Had new starter tested before I installed it ...starter just spins doesn't engage
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I am not a Diesel expert, but I do know that when the over-running clutch on a starter drive gear goes bad, the starter will just spin and not turn the flywheel. When they bench tested the starter they just checked that the motor and solenoid works, they really have no way to tell you if the over-running clutch is any good or not because when testing the starter there is no flywheel in use when testing. I would look for a shop in the yellow pages who specializes in rebuilding starters and ask them how much to rebuild it with a new over-running clutch because an whole new starter might cost $200.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've also been having an issue where if I hit a hard bump it will take me out of overdrive ...I'll have to stop and move my shifter back in forth through the gears for it to home itself if that makes sense.. It always says its in reverse when its actually in park ..I always have to put it in neutral to start it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I believe you should open a new post for that question.