vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

Aloha Leo, I have a 2005 Ram Diesel that is having troubles

Customer Question

Aloha Leo, I have a 2005 Ram Diesel that is having troubles with the transmission. Upon shifting into gear, truck will attempt to move as if under load. When sitting at a stop, vehicle acts as if I'm pressing both accelerator and brake simultaneously. When accelerating from a stop, appears that it shifts from 1st to 4th, skipping other gears, putting strain on engine with extremely low rpm's
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.

Evening, the symptoms you are describing is a locked up torque converter. The reason for the torque converter being locked up could be the torque converter itself or internal trans issue such as the valve body. To be certain its not electrical.....I recommend disconnecting the electrical connector going into the transmission. It located on the drivers side and the connector is vertical. The other connector on the trans is the park/neutral switch and its on the side of the trans. Its connector is horizontal. Once disconnected, start the truck and see if the torque converter is still staying locked up. If so then the issue is mechanical and not electrical.