Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

My 2008 Dodge Dakota has a good batter but went out today

Customer Question

My 2008 Dodge Dakota has a good batter but went out today drove it to work. came out at lunch and it would not start (no turnover just click, click, click) Jump started it and drove it home, once I got home and put it into park it ran for a minute and shut off. Would not Once again, tried to start and it would just click,click,click. Help????
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This sounds like a faulty alternator, however you should also have the battery load tested. If the alternator is not charging fully then the truck would or should have had trouble running. Once it's started the battery doesn't power the truck, the alternator does. The rapid clicking indicates low cranking amperage in the battery It's quite possible the battery has a bad cell, so it would appear to have plenty of voltage, but not enough amperage.

I would have the battery tested, if it tests good, then have the alternator tested. It should test at 14.5 volts under load. If it doesn't then the alternator should be replaced.

Check the battery connections as well. If they are dirty, then the charge from the alternator may not actually be making it into the battery.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Just following up to see if you need further assistance with this?