sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My overrunning clutch in my AWD caravan isn't working right.

Customer Question

My overrunning clutch in my AWD caravan isn't working right. Could it be because it's low on fluid?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The fluid in the viscous coupling housing on the front of the differential is just for lubrication. If it was low it would cause damage to the components but it wouldn't prevent the clutch from locking. If the clutch will not lock it indicates internal mechanical failure. It wouldn't hurt to check the fluid level and it would be a good idea to drain the fluid and inspect it (you'll likely find metal), but adding fluid if it's low won't allow it to engage.