Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

Can you tell me on an A/C system how much oil and Freon I

Customer Question

Can you tell me on an A/C system how much oil and Freon I need on each components? I'm replacing the accumulator, Liquid Line and the evaporator due to a leak on the evaporator.
Do I still need to evacuate the system if I have a leak?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Justanswer,
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with your question.
Has the system been flushed ?
Since you did not mention the compressor I assume you are not replacing i, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct. I have not touch the system yet. I flushes the coolant and took the dash out to access the black box where the evaporator is located.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, an empty system with a new compressor holds right at 8 ounces of Pag oil along with 1.6 LBS of R 134 Freon. Normally you add 4 ounces to the compressor and the other 4 into the accumulator . The system will need to be evacuated once its been open up. Once you have evac it for 30 to 40 minutes you can then charge it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should not have to worry about extracting the gas because it had a leak and is not working, Right?
Also, the only components that need oil is the accumulator and the compressor, Right?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Once you open the system you going to loose any remaining Freon if theirs any even left which is not likely if you had a leaks so there no need to worry about extracting the gas. The only components that you add oil two are the compressor and the accumulator, 4 ounces in the compressor and 4 ounces in the accumulator and then evacuate the system and add your Freon and your good to go.