Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country EX with the 3.8. I

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country EX with the 3.8. I have a code p1739 from the transmission, also a p0884 from a "generic" scanner as per the mechanic who scanned it. That shop says they have tested power and ground to the TCM (including the power circuit through the Solenoid Pack), and are sure I need a new TCM. I'm fine to replace it if we need to, but unconvinced by their diagnosis based on what I have read. They say its possible a sensor is shorted and that it could have s
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I have a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country EX with the 3.8. I have a code p1739 from the transmission, also a p0884 from a "generic" scanner as per the mechanic who scanned it. That shop says they have tested power and ground to the TCM (including the power circuit through the Solenoid Pack), and are sure I need a new TCM. I'm fine to replace it if we need to, but unconvinced by their diagnosis based on what I have read. They say its possible a sensor is shorted and that it could have shorted the TCM?My symptoms are (chronological order):
1) all the PRNDL lights have lit up when starting the vehicle on a few occasions. No issue putting it into gear and no recurring PRNDL issues that drive.
2) the vehicle appears to drop into neutral between shifts about every 5 minutes. Shift does occur and is not harsh, but is delayed and there is no power while waiting on the long shift.
3) the revs appear to float between 1k and 1.5k when coasting. Foot not on gas, cruise not enabled.Similar issue on iATN (I dont have access, maybe you do?):http://www.iatn.net/techhelp/39/14294/2003-chrysler-town-and-country-(van)-el-3.3l-one-time-cut-outI have a factory repair manual, pinout / wiring diagram for the pcm, a volt meter and a basic OBD Scanner. I have the vehicle in the garage with access to the TCM.Where should I go from here?Thanks,
Kyle
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The code P1739 in most cases is set due to the following,with the TCM being most common.
Transmission Control Module (TCM)
Wiring
In order to determine if that is the case you are going to need to do some testing, see the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/TCM%20Aug%2015.pdf
The code P0884 indicates the Transmission Control Module (TCM) is powering up while the vehicle is moving. I would address the P1739 code first . Both can be set due to a failing TCM.