Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2002 dodge caravan won't start the doors won't lock

Customer Question

I have a 2002 dodge caravan won't start the doors won't lock or unlock and the key ringer keeps ringing even though the Key isn't in it any ideas
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.

By the sound of it, your Body Control Module (BCM) is locked up. That it can still produce the dingdingding key-in-ignition sound tells me that the BCM is likely to still have power, but for some reason it's caught up in some sort of feedback loop. Lack of an OK-to-start message from the BCM to the engine controller will interrupt the start process, so let' give this a try.

A hard reset is very often effective on Caravan BCMs and involves a simple battery disconnect. Let' take that a step farther and do a capacitive discharge-type of battery disconnect.

To do that, remove one (or both) of your battery cables and touch it (or them) together for a few minutes. Simply disconnecting the battery will normally cause enough voltage drop to reset a module, but in some instances, the charge retained by capacitors in the vehicle may retain a small amount of residual voltage present that may be enough to prevent the electrical system from going completely flat-line. Touching the cables together gives this voltage a way to drain off, ensuring that you've given the BCM your best shot at a hard reset.

Give it a try and let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Good luck!

Ed