Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

My 94 dodge V6 run get when you can get it to start. Once

Customer Question

My 94 dodge V6 run get when you can get it to start. Once its started and warm it will start every time but cold start only turns over spray ether don't work either. I'm thinking crankshaft sensor but not sure
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.

This reminds me more of a cam sensor issue, rather than crank. The PCM on your 94 Dakota needs to see the cam signal but once at engine start and then it can disappear without notice for the entire rest of the drive cycle. It may also be a cam-crank timing (sync) sort of problem, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it. For now, let's check codes, which you can do with a scan tool OR by using the old Chrysler "flash method".

To use the flash method, you'll do a quick key dance, then count the flashes that come from the CHECK ENGINE lamp, much like Morse Code.

To begin, roll the key from off to on three times, leaving it ON after the last cycle. Don't crank the engine... just cycle the key.

Watch the CE light as it does a longer than normal bulb test of about three seconds, then goes dark. Get ready to start counting.

The codes will all be binary in nature, like 12 or 55 and will be flashed one digit at a time (ex. code 12 will consist of one flash... a pause... and two flashes).

You will always get a code 55 at the end of the test whether anything else was shown or not. Code 55 designates end of test.

Give it a shot and let me know what spills out. I encourage you to repeat the test a few times to be sure you learn the cadence and timing of the flash method, so we get the codes right.

Talk in a bit,

Ed