Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 99 Dodge Ram bucket seat belt retractor will roll in but

Customer Question

My 99 Dodge Ram bucket seat belt retractor will roll in but not out on the driver and passenger sides.
Is there a release mechanism on it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 1 year ago.

Afternoon.....there is a module that controls both seat belt retractors and its called the Seat Belt Control Timer module (SCTM). Here is some testing info about it.

SEATBELT CONTROL TIMER MODULE

For complete circuit diagrams, refer to Restraint System in the Contents of Wiring Diagrams.

1. Check the fused B(+) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  2. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the battery as required.
  3. Check the fused ignition switch output (run-acc) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run-acc) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the wire harness connector from the connector receptacle of the Seatbelt Control Timer Module (SCTM) Reconnect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the open fused B(+) circuit to the junction block fuse as required.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit to the junction block fuse as required.
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required.
  8. Check for continuity between the right door ajar switch sense circuit cavity of the wire harness connector for the SCTM and a good ground. There should be no continuity with the right front door closed, and continuity with the right front door open. Repeat this test for the left door ajar switch sense circuit. If both circuits check OK, and the problem is with only one inoperative electric seat belt retractor latch solenoid, refer to Electric Seat Belt Retractor Latch Solenoid in the Diagnosis and Testing section of this group. If both circuits check OK, and the problem is with both electric seat belt retractor latch solenoids being inoperative, replace the faulty SCTM. If either or both door ajar switch sense circuits is not OK, refer to Door Jamb Switch in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Vehicle Theft/Security Systems.

In the past I found the SCTM to be bad. Replacing it fixed the few that I had seen. I am attaching wiring info so that you can check it out as per the info above. The SCTM is bolted to bottom of the center front seat assembly.

Check the items mentioned and let me know what you find