sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2004 dodge durango SL. I went on a trip, forgot my

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge durango SL. I went on a trip, forgot my key. Used the second key, it would turn car on, but would torn of after a few seconds. Liked online on how to program fob. Tried what was suggested. (Hold the unlock fir 4-10 sec, then press the unlock etc.) and now the truck won'turn over anymore. Original key was mailed to me, thought this would fix problem and now that Keri isn't working. Security light is blinking. Please advise.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about typos. I am using my phone.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The method you read about is to program an additional key fob on an RKE only system. You have the SKIM system with a transponder in the key, a dealer scan tool is required to program a replacement key with the SKIM system unless two functional keys are present.
If the second key was a functional, programmed key and neither one will start the engine then I would first suspect a failed wireless control module, which is the module that communicates with the key. It's unlikely that two keys have failed at the same time, but it's possible.
The WCM may need to be replaced but it wasn't uncommon for them to lock up electrically and come back with a power cycle. The first thing I would recommend is trying a battery disconnect.
If that doesn't work then you might try turning the ignition on with the key that was functional for sure, put a battery charger on it and leave the key on for one hour.
If that doesn't help either than a scan tool will be necessary to diagnose it further and to perform the repair, the problem is either with the keys or WCM.