sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Ron I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 truck that we just

Customer Question

Ron I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 truck that we just replaced the engine because of a dead cyl. And now have problems starting. When we turn the key on the back up alarm sounds and dash indicator shows rev., it skips over neutral to drive, I've replaced the neutral safety switch in Trans and still have the same issue. Is there an adjustment or a pin test to check electrical connections ?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is a 5.7 gas
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the range sensor has been replaced then this is almost surely a shift cable adjustment issue. Hopefully the cable just needs to be adjusted.
With the wheels chocked and/or emergency brake applied, put the shifter in park and slide underneath. Pop the cable off at the arm on the trans, make sure the arm is fully in park by hand and do the same for the shifter.
Hold the end of the cable over the stud on the arm at the trans. Does the hole line up perfectly with the stud?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried doing that in the park position and find that I was out by 1/2" , I tried from the low gear position and find that it's ok. When my guys replaced the neutral safety switch they removed the entire trans/transfer case because they broke some kind of retainer, it's been replaced. I crawled up under there today and saw with the valve body removed attached to the selector arm was a rod that goes rearward into the tail housing, I disconnected the retaining clip and it pulled right out. There is a spring and a tapered collar on this rod with two machined groves at the end that seem to be there to hold a clip/ spring or something. I have them removing the trans case in the AM so I can get a better look at what needs to be on that rod because it seems that it's holding me up on reaching the detent to rev. Looking at the valve body and manually moving the selector plate by hand I can reach all detents. Do you have any drawings of the internals of this trans.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said it may be holding me up to rev. But I meant park. Sorry
Will it not go into park by hand with the shift cable removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe my guys did not assemble the internals correctly, I'm very familiar with transmissions but wasn't around when they did this project. Any diagrams would be helpful.
If it won't go into park by hand then there is definitely an internal issue in the trans. There was nothing done in the trans before the problem started though?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the fact that they broke the clip and felt compelled to remove the entire unit, I believe they assembled something wrong keeping the rod from traveling to the full park position. I've never done one of these transmissions but have done numerous automatics, any diagrams to show the internal linkage would be great!!
I'm not able to post directly from the service information due to copyright.
The original repair was replacing the engine. This problem started without nothing being done with the transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it started with the tech removing the main eletrical connection from the trans upon removal of motor, don't ask me why. He believes that something moved internally but is not sure. Any info would be helpful, thanks!
Disconnecting the solenoid pack connector woudln't have affected anything in the trans.
If you shift it to manual first gear and then back to park does it still register manual first now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will register manual first but not park, I've removed the transfer case and tail shaft housing and insured that the selector sling on valve body is reaching all detents, I made reference marks on the slide to show park and neutral. In the full park position the drive shaft will lock up but I have no indication of being in park on PRND+\- scale, if I turn the ingnition key on it shows (R) and my back up alarm sounds,I jumped the starter to start the truck with wheels suspended and have full use of transmission, the display will show all positions except (P) allthough it will go into park. If I turn off the ignition and try to restart I'm back to square one. Using a Snap On Edge scanner I no code present since clearing them after installation of neutral safety switch. Is there a relearn procedure? Do I have to have it reflashed? I'll have to replace the shifter cable because the ends are loose.
Does the scan tool have a shift lever test in the TCM menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only place I can kind any info is under Low-Rev solenoid test. With cable disconnected and in full Park it shows Throatle Blade Position % 2, PRNDL Display Request "blank", Park Neutral Switch Filtered Switch State "not engaged", Present Gear "neutral"
Where did the replacement solenoid pack come from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer
Has the connector been inspected closely for a damaged or pushed out terminal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will check grounds, connectors, and wires in AM, would you have any info as to pin locations/numbers at connectors to simplify this procedure? I did find the sequence of open and closed circuits at different shift points and will check that in the AM because what I'm seeing and what I'm supposed to have are different in some positions, I'll let you know tomorrow but any info as to the connector pins would be helpful, Thanks!
Is one of the range sensor switches never changing state; which one are you seeing in incorrect ppositions?