Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I replaced the cvt in my 2008 caliber. Drove away fine,

Customer Question

I replaced the cvt in my 2008 caliber. Drove away fine, halfway home, car loses power, struggles to maintain 55. Now check engine light on, cranked and ran fine this morning, started to shop, halfway there, started losing power again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to JustAnswer!.

It sounds like your Caliber is "de-rating" itself... that is, it's electing to produce less power than it's capable of because of the code that's been set. A great many things can cause this sort of issue, including CVT issues, so we'll need to get codes read before I can advise you on what to do. Caliber does (sort of) support a customer-read type feature for code display within the vehicle, but I've found its operation to be sporadic and incomplete -- and I'm being kind. Still, let's give it a try.

To begin, hop in the driver's seat and shut the door. If the driver's door isn't shut, it'll derail the whole process.

Now roll the ignition key from LOCK to RUN three times, within five seconds. Leave the key on at the end of the third turn.

You don't want to engage the starter for this process, just cycle the key.

Now watch the odometer window in the instrument cluster as it switches from displaying miles to trouble codes, expressed in "P-code" format. It may look like "P-0123" or something to that end.

If it doesn't work, try changing your key cycle from LOCK to RUN, to ACC to RUN. Do it rapidly, do it slower... try a few different cadences. If nothing works, I'm afraid you'll be stuck with getting codes read at the local Autozone or something. Any CAN system-compatible code reader should work.

Talk in a bit,

Ed