-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

98 Dodge Stratus not getting fire. Would like to know how to

Customer Question

98 Dodge Stratus not getting fire. Would like to know how to reset computer.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Did it stall while driving? Is the timing belt intact? Does it sound like it's freewheeling when you try and crank it? What codes are in the PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did stall at first and yes timing belt is intact. It sounds normal when we try to crank it. We tried to have the computer read but it was scrambled. We ordered a new one and have installed it but we was not aware that we may have to reset it to the car. So putting the new computer on has not changed anything since I don't know if I need to reset it. After I figure out how to do that and if that doesn't work I am thinking new coil. Its just not getting any fire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't know what a PCM is. I am just a chick that most of the time works on chevy trucks from the 80's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car belongs to a lady that has cancer and she rides it to her doctor but she cant afford to have it fixed so I am trying to do it for her.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Does it have a gray key? If so then the PCM will need to be programmed before it will start. Do you see a red light on in dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No key is black. The check engine light came on after I installed the new computer. I have changed plugs wire distr cap ect. throttle sensor maybe I should change crank sensor
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

if the check engine light is on then you need to see what codes are in it with a scantool which will help in getting it repaired correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One scan showed throttle sensor that's why I changed it. Should I have it read again?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes what P codes are in the PCM? Also see if it will start with starting fluid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried ether but nothing. I will test it again and get back to you
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

If it won't start with Ether then you don't have spark. Which could be a timig belt issue or crankshaft sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right it's not getting fire. My next step is the crankshaft sensor I will see how that goes. Thanks for your time. If it was 81 Chevy truck with 350 granny gear I could do it in my sleep, but this computer sensor stuff throws me off sometimes but now I know I'm headed the right way.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Well the correct way would be to connect a scantool and monitor the crankshaft and camshaft and see if they are both counting correctly(in sync) and if the crankshaft sensor isn't reading then yes replace the crankshaft sensor..

Glad I could help,

Brad