Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with factory tow

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 with factory tow package. All lights and electric brakes work however, no marker lights. I checked all fuses and breakers up front, and have power to the breaker in the rear. The breaker engages ( hear and feel the relay) but no power from there back to trailer pin? Is the breaker socket bad?
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is for my tail lights on my trailer hookup, not for the truck. All lights on truck work, just not my trailer marker/tail lights do not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I did try replacing the relay in the back but same results, no trailer marker lights.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you! There should be a trailer relay in the under hood fuse box if it has factory tow package. Do you see that relay? And if so, remove it and then look on the bottom of the relay. Now locate terminal # ***** on the relay. Then get a 12 volt test light and probe the cavity in the fuse box where terminal # ***** plugs into. Tell me if it will light up the test light.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have per there
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok good. Now jump cavity # ***** to # ***** in the relay/fuse box. If the circuit is good from the relay to the trailer connector, then there should be voltage at the trailer connector. Let me know how this test goes.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jumped 30 & 87, no power to trailer pin on hookup
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok, then there is an open circuit between relay #87 to the trailer plug. Follow the wiring from the under hood fuse box back to the trailer plug. There may be another connector along that harness that should be inspected visually, so do check that next.
Let me know,
Chris