Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

My brake warning light comes on sometimes when I turn left

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Dave. My brake warning light comes on sometimes when I turn left in my '99 Grand Voyager. It usually goes off soon after and never comes on during right turns.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for delay, do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

generally when this type of symptom occurs? you have a slightly low brake fluid, It is running to one side in the master cylinder, turns the light on, It has to be a fluid level problem or soemthing with emergency brake,May want to wiggle the e brake and see if it sets the brake light on indicating a possible with the small switch at the e brake pedal, I really lean more to low brake fluid, That is step one, Description follows

The red BRAKE warning lamp is located in the instrument panel cluster and is used to indicate a low brake fluid condition or that the parking brake is applied. In addition, the brake warning lamp is turned on as a bulb check by the ignition switch every time the ignition switch is turned to the crank position.

The warning lamp bulb is supplied a 12-volt ignition feed anytime the ignition switch is on. The bulb is then illuminated by completing the ground circuit either through the parking brake switch, the fluid level sensor in the master cylinder reservoir, or the ignition switch when it is turned to the crank position.

The Brake Fluid Level switch is located in the brake fluid reservoir of the master cylinder assembly. The purpose of the switch is to provide the driver with an early warning that brake fluid level in the master cylinder fluid reservoir has dropped to below normal. This may indicate:

As the brake fluid drops below the minimum level, the brake fluid level switch closes to ground the brake warning light circuit. This will turn on the red BRAKE warning Light. At this time, the master cylinder fluid reservoir should be checked and filled to the full mark with DOT 3 brake fluid. If brake fluid level has dropped below the add line in the master cylinder fluid reservoir, the entire brake hydraulic system should be checked for evidence of a leak.