Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I just spent $1200 to get the transmission solenoid fixed on

Customer Question

I just spent $1200 to get the transmission solenoid fixed on the 2005 dodge dakota, just got it back and it still overheats. Isnt that the purpose of the solenoid?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.
Actually, no the transmission solenoid is mainly for transmission shifting. Normally has nothing to do with the engine overheating..
Can you describe the problem that you are having? Is the engine temperature overheating or is it the transmission? Has it been scanned for codes? If it has, can you post all codes retrieved here?
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got a diagnostic done and the mechanic said it was the transmission solenoid and there were also problems with the steering. Husband brought the truck home from work and said somethings were leaking out of the bottom and the gauge would go from cold to hot very quickly. What could that mean?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sounds to me like you may have a coolant leak and the resulting loss of coolant is causing it to overheat.
At this time I recommend to TOW it back to a shop and have it looked at for the leak and for the overheating condition...
You may be able to find the leak yourself if you purchase a gallon of anti freeze and add it to the radiator. Fill the radiator to the top and run it a bit to see if you can locate the leak... If you can take pics of the leaking area, I may be able to help determine what is leaking...
Keep me posted...
Thank you,
Robert