How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Virtual Wrench Your Own Question
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 14620
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
Virtual Wrench is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2000 dodge 1500 shuts off driving down the road speedo says

Customer Question

2000 dodge 1500 shuts off driving down the road speedo says no bus oil pressure goes to zero amp gauge quits working fuel gauge goes to e y
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hello,
Approx how many miles are on it please?
Engine size also please.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
Looks like i just missed you.
90% of the time its a faulty instrument cluster, and the other 10% is a bad connection at the back of the cluster, but it always comes down to be cluster related. I have uploaded some testing for you to read and it may only take removing the cluster from the connector and cleaning the contacts and reinstalling!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/diagnostic.oxps
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
You can still ask questions even after you do the required rating and there is no further charge!
Your question does not close after you rate.
Thank you.
Larry
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
If that link didnt work, try the one below. I reloaded it from the service manual.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/self%20diagnostics.pdf
Larry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's 300,000 miles on the motor. 5.9 motor
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Bingo!
Definitely a problem in the cluster.
Follow those instructions i sent you above and it may just be bad contacts.
If you need to know how to remove the cluster just let me know.
Larry
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That wasn't the problem ?i was able fire it up with out instrument panel.i'm wondering about the computer?
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
Yes, i would suspect the PCM then. It communicates with the cluster through the BUSS network and you might try disconnecting and cleaning those contacts too because they are such small connections that it takes VERY little to disrupt the BUSS network which affects a LOT of functions on the vehicle.
Did you try to pull any codes?