-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

2003 DODGE RAM 3500. 5.9 DIESEL --- HARD TO START

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

What is the rail psi when cranking? Will it start with Ether? You need at leats 6,000 cranking psi to start and if low then start capping off injectors until the rail psi rises then replace that injector.. If you have never replaced the injectors I would install a new Bosch set..

I hope this helps and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, truck start with ether and 7500psi during the cranking.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You will need to perform a injector return test.. Here is a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JstM7jAxyvc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I have performed the test, we removed the soft line from the high pressure return port and directed the flow into a scavenge bucket and connected a clear line to the high pressure port to measure fuel return. At 1200 rpm in neutral it measured zero flow.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

When did this start happeneing? Are there any codes in the ECM/PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer bought this truck 6 month ago and it was find until 2 weeks ago. and then trouble code is P0088 .

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Have you ran any diagnostic test for P0088? If not I attached it so you can see what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have performed the pin point testing for code P0088-Fuel control actuator clicks consistently and monitored PID data for high pressure fuel reading. The pressure was consistently over 7000psi during excessive cranking/ no start symptom, and would rise to over 36000psi at idle and increases with rpm.

I did note that after multiple restarts while monitoring the high presssure that as long as the pressure remained high the truck started ok, and when it would intermittently drop to zero the truck was difficult to start.

Also note that code P0088 describes a high fuel rail condition and this concern is for excessive cranking to start

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pressure couldn't have got to 36,000 psi because the pop off valve would have released the psi at 26,000. It sounds like the fuel rail pressure sensor is bad...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We replaced ICP(high pressure sensor) sensor but truck not start. Please help.

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Peter,
Ok now that the sensor is new can you rerun the test and tell me if it ever gets to 36,000 psi again.. Also what is cranking rail psi now after new sensor?