Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My husband has a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4X4 truck. The oil

Customer Question

My husband has a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4X4 truck. The oil pressure drops for no apparent reason, but comes back up eventually. He can't find the oil sensor, nor can he find the reason for the drop in pressure.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, there are 3 different engines offered for the 99 Dakota - 4cyl, 6cyl, and 8cyl.
I need to know which engine in order to give accurate answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 cyl
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, the oil pressure sensor is located at top rear of engine, partially hidden by the distributor. I have uploaded a diagram showing it.

Your husband will need a mechanical oil pressure gage to hook up(he can rent one from Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts). He will need to remove the oil pressure sensor and install the gage in its place. Then check the oil pressure to see if its within specs shown below. If not within specs, replace the oil pump and clean the oil pump pickup tube. If within specs, replace the oil pressure sensor

OIL PRESSURE @ Curb Idle (Min.)* ........................................ 41.4 kPa (6 psi)

@ 3000 rpm ...................................... 207 - 552 kPa (30 - 80 psi)

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

For some reason the diagram didnt upload. Here it is

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.