Chad
Chad, Lead Master Tech
Experience:  Electrical Master,Diesel Specialist, Lead Tech/shop foreman
12781541

I have a 2012 dodge durango citadel. It has rain sensing

Customer Question

I have a 2012 dodge durango citadel. It has rain sensing wipers. When it's raining the wipers seem like they just go crazy. 1 second they are doing intermitend then all of a sudden they are wide open fast then,they go back to intermittent then slow then fast. They are just all over the place. Wondering what this might be. 67,000 miles on it. When I turn the switch to high or low then they stay the way they are suppose to according to the switch. Some ppl say you can turn the intermittent switch up or down to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor but that doesn't seem to change anything. Got a definite answer for me?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ya
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

When this is happening with the wipers in the auto mode, is the rain on the windshield changing or is it steady?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steady
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

That indicates a malfunction with the rain sensing module.

It should be checked for codes and that it is working properly.

It also could be that the lens on the module, between the module and the windshield is dirty. And just needs to be cleaned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I do that? How much does something like that cost of the module is bad? Would a light come on in the dash or give me a warning some how if there was a code or is that all in the computer?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

You can carefully remove the cover and then remove the module and clean the lens.

No, no light will come on, on the dash if there is a code in that module, it just don't work right, or does not work at all.

Dealer usually charges about 1 hour labor to scan for codes. Some dealers do have the first half hour check out free.

I would not be able to tell you a close cost of the part and replacement until tomorrow morning.

If, you like I can get a price in the morning.

I will just need your VIN to get the proper part number and price for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vin is 1c4rdjegocc212990. Yes if you could do that please that would be great. Is that something I can install my self? Where is the plastic cover and how does it come off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you need my direct contact info?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

It is on the windshield to the side of the rear view mirror.

Very, very carefully, it is all plastic

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

I will reply here in the morning with the information for you.

You have to be very careful with it. it is easy to break the cover or the module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The big plastic triangle thing,behind the mirror? Does it split in half the way it looks? When I get it off if I do then what do I need to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you reply in the morning does this site just let me know I have an email or how does it work never done this before.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

It does not spin off. there are a few little retainer hooks, made of plastic that hold it on.

After the cover is removed, disconnect the wire connector.

Yes, you will get an email saying that I have replied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright so when I take it off and disconnect wires then what does the module come out and I can just wipe it off or?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Depress one side of the metal retaining strap,towards the windshield while lightly prying the end of the strap closest to the glass away from the tab of the mounting bracket on the windshield. Now rotate the loose side of the LRSM away from the glass far enough to disengage the other side of the strap from the mounting bracket tabs

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just use a soft clean and dry towel to wipe it off.

Lint free!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to read that when I get that far right now trying to get plastic off with no luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any special tricks to getting that off?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

The style mirror you have splits in half.

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to see the pictures I am posting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like just push up on one side and kinda pull down on the other to kinda unhook the sides?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Yes, for the most part

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulling as much as I can and nothing. Got a feeling it's gonna,break if I do more.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

I understand. I have broken a few before myself.

I trimstick does help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it split one side stays up apparently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it the big camera looking thing in there?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

No, there is a little square box with a thin metal strip across the middle of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it all out. Now just wipe the eyes and the windshield? Is there a way to test it without it raining?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can test it by spraying water on the outside of the windshield.

Light mist, then just keep spraying more and more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you, ***** ***** been an awesome help. Way better than any of our service shops around here. All they say is being it in. I left the plastic off just in case it doesn't help I figure I won't get away without breaking it twice. Please don't forget to let me know on the price of that module. Is that pretty much the only thing that could go wrong to make it so that?
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

I will not forget. It will be after 8 am CST. but not long after that.

That and the multifunction switch is all that controls that system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm going to test it out right now. Thank you for your help I appreciate it very much.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

No problem

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

Part number(###) ###-####C at 81.00 is the price and part # ***** the light rain sensing module on your vehicle.

Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not right now I will have to wait until it rains again to see if it's working the way it's supposed to hard to tell with a hose bc it's not consistent. But I did call the dealer near me today and asked about it and same price 81.00. So I will see how it works when it rains nxt time and go from there.
Expert:  Chad replied 1 year ago.

OK, let me know after you find rain.