sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic. Bolt on mods

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic. Bolt on mods include: BBK shorty headers, Zoomers catback exhaust, and R2C cold air intake.
During acceleration, when I let off the throttle, the transmission tries to do a quick down shift. Then the engine light comes on, and the transmission is completely not working. I have to pull the car over and place it into park to reset it, then it starts working again. Both times it happened during moderate acceleration and not WOT.
I have done a transmission fluid flush and fill.
Will a proper tune from a Diablo correct this?
Please advise.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should mention automatic transmission as well.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You may have a few things going on. The trans may actually be slipping due to a hydraulic issue or clutch failure, you may have a speed sensor issue, there may be a shift cable/range sensor related issue. If the TCM sees the shifter move out of park then the trans usually won't engage again until after a key cycle.
If the engine light is coming on it's because the TCM is seeing an issue and setting a fault code, the first step in diagnosing the problem is seeing what codes are setting. Do you know what codes are setting in the TCM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the late reply.The codes being thrown are as follows:P0507 - Idle air control system - RPM higher than expectedP2096 - Post catalst fuel trim system too lean bank 1.

Was the TCM checked for codes as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are the codes displayed once hooked up to the OBD II port.

Did you specifically pick the TCM from a module menu?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. My tool only allows me to view codes and clear them.

The transmission is disengaging, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.

If the engine light is coming on when this happens then there has to be codes setting in the TCM, you're going to need to know what they are. The P0507 may cause electronic throttle control limp in but if the trans is disengaging and the engine light comes on then you're going to need something that will read TCM codes.