Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

98 pickup, 318 engine. My truck just loses power after doing

Customer Question

98 pickup, 318 engine. My truck just loses power after doing 10-15 miles on the tpk. I pull off the road, wait 10-15 minutes, it starts back up and runs normally for another 5-10 miles and does it again. If I try to start it immediately, it just idles at less than 500 rpm and won't go any faster.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing sounds like you may have a failing fuel pump and in order to determine if that is the case you are going to need to install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring, normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 54 PSI and hold steady. Have him check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.