Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I was stopped at a auto parts store and my wife was in the

Customer Question

i was stopped at a auto parts store and my wife was in the van then all of a sudden just shook and died ,fuel pump was working,but i put a new one,then we drove 21 miles to a next town to buy groceries ran find i stopped again at a store let it idile then it died again i checked the fuel rail and it had plenty of fuel pressure,but no spark at the sparkplug wires so i bought a new coil pack and tried to start but just cranks,checked again my fuel rail and no pressure,im between lost and found,can you help,thank you in advance
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
Ever hear of a crankshaft position sensor?
The CKP sensor is located on top of transaxle housing, above flywheel, near corner of rear exhaust manifold.
Flywheel contains 3 sets of slots areas near starter ring. Each slot area contains 4 slots in each set. As crankshaft rotates, CKP sensor generates pulses due to slot areas on the flywheel.
When solid area on flywheel aligns with bottom of CKP sensor, voltage decreases to less than .3 volt. When slot area on flywheel aligns with bottom of CKP sensor, voltage increases to 5 volts. Switching of the voltage generates pulses. These pulses provide an input signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
PCM uses input signal to determine crankshaft position. PCM uses input signal along with other various input signals for controlling fuel injection synchronization and ignition system.
Replace the CKP sensor and i think you will solve this problem!
Larry
I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.