Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

96 Neon Wont Start

Customer Question

96 Neon Wont Start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.
The code means there is no CAM signal at the PCM and most likely is a bad wire between the 2.
Are you able to follow the testing procedure for this code? It requires a scan tool that you can operate in volt and ohm modes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the tools. I have 8 volts at the far left (orange) wire and 5 volts on the far right tan stripped wire, zero in the center.

Good deal!

Below is the testing procedure. Take your time with it and follow it closely and i think you will find a bad wire or bad ground.

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.

Click here for the test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no way of testing the PCM...
The Camshaft Sensor has the correct voltage, but I have ZERO voltage at the ICM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried attaching an extra wire to the ground wires and connecting them to the battery and car for an extra ground.
Everything remained the same...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The PCM is NEW and tested at dealership.
This is why i asked you if you had a scan tool>
Turn ignition off. Connect a jumper wire to CMP sensor signal circuit.
Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, note CMP sensor signal state.
While observing scan tool display, tap other end of jumper wire to CMP sensor ground circuit.
You cant chase this down without one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of scan tool? I have an OBDII...
I ran a test light on the ignition wire and it didn't light up.
The CMP is brand new...
The OBDII is only a code reader, not a scan tool that is capable of taking live readings. If you have an autozone around they should have one you can use thru their loan-a-tool program and all you have to do is put a deposit on it and they loan it to you for free.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you recommend a scan tool? Not a SnapOn please.
lol...yeah, a snappy will set ya back a few thousand....the link below has one that will capture live data.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QIUGVI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=shopperz_origin2-20&SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=190677820-2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the INNOVA 3100e, same thing!
Then do step 4 and 5...
Bud i can only do so much from here. I know its frustrating but you have to follow those steps very carefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so what am I looking for on the scan tool? What should it say/state?
You want to see if the CMP state is active or not.
I have to leave for the day so i will opt out and see if someone else can help.
Good luck bud...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just received my scan tool: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2I0IAE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, this was a complete waste of money! Live Data only works when the car is running! I stated the car has NO spark at the coil! I just replace the coil and my test light says the coil is getting power. But still no spark, the engine just keeps trying to turn over. I still have the same error code P0340...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the camshaft position sensor magnet supposed to have 4 raised "bumps" on it? Mine has 4, but two of them are barely raised, almost seems worn out, while the other two have a significant "raise or bump".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 1996 Dodge Neon. My scantool gives the error "P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1". The car DOES NOT START. It has NO SPARK at all. I have replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor, Crankshaft Position Sensor, PCM (New and Programmed), CAM Trigger Magnet, Spark Plugs, and Coil... I had to rewire the plugs for everything, and I am not sure if this is my problem. The old plugs were round and the new plugs were square, so they had to be replaced. I have 8 volts in the center wire on the Camshaft Position Sensor, 5 volts on the far right wire (Green?) and the coil center wire lights up on my test light when I turn the key on and off. The car just turns over and never sparks or fires. I put a tester on the spark plug wire and it didn't light up... I have switched the working horn relay with the ignition relay and the relays work fine. I have erased the code several times from the PCM and I have removed the PCM wires while the car ignition was on and waited a couple minuets then plugged them back in with the ignition on, as a mechanic told me to do. - Still same thing, over and over, same error code. I can not do a "Live Feed" test, because the car WILL NOT START!...
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Different expert here. I would like to speak with you over the phone. I am going to send over an offer. Please accept my offer and call me