Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I am installing a new left rear lens in a ram 1500, 2007

Customer Question

I am installing a new left rear lens in a ram 1500 , 2007 truck and the upper bulb and socket are there but I have purchased a new backup socket and it looks like there must be another piece of the wiring harness that plugs into the elongated clip that I see and separates with plugs for the backup socket?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Are these aftermarket parts your using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The elongated plug is on the end of the factory installed wiring harness, the bulb socket is OEM part replacement. This tail light only uses 2 bulbs, the upper bulb is wired straight to the harness, the lower bulb, goes to the bottom lamp socket with the clear lens, probably a back up light, I have the lower socket, but it's female connector will not accept the elongated male connector coming out of the factory harness. Is there a factory wire that is missing that has an elongated plug on one end and a squarish plug that goes into the bulb sockets electrical female plug? It doesn't have the plastic bar that is shown on some diagrams that takes three lights and fastens on the inside back side of the tail lens, the tail lens has two quarter turn bulb socket lamp bases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know is the plug and wiring for the backup light supposed to be part of the wires coming out of the wire bundle or is there another wire, that I don't have or can't see that is supposed to be plugged into the bulb socket on the lower socket on the lens? The vin is 1D7HA182875132438 I don't have the truck here, so I will call as last resort tomorrow when I can take photos and look further for the missing plug. Thank you

I am confused, if you removed a OEM lens and are installing an OEM identical lens, why are wires missing and plugs different? Do you need a wire diagram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original rear lens was missing after the first owner got in an accident. I thought this would be a very simple repair, but after buying all the parts I thought were needed, the clip that is visible will not fit into the electrical socket of the back up light socket . I'm going to remove the right hand side tomorrow and see how it's connected, it should be the same on both sides.

Let me know those results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured it out without your help, please don't charge me for this, Thank you!

Glad its resolved