Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Diag/Electrical Specialist
13677702

I have a 2008 dodge caliber with a CVT front wheel drive. I

Customer Question

I have a 2008 dodge caliber with a CVT front wheel drive. I installed a used transmission but installed it with the torque converter attached to the flex plate which is attached to the motor. Is it okay to remove it and attach the torque to the CVT and reinstall it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, what engine do you have? Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.4
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks, ***** ***** explain the problem you encountered, You put used trans in, why are you asking about the converter and removing trans again? thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it leaks fluid, slips a lot and makes a small humming noise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not install the converter correctly
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** ***** me a few min,

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok, sorry for the delay, Bad news, as I think you know? you can NOT do the trans as you did, just NO way to line up the converter and front pump seal can and will be damaged when attempting to do the repair this way. The correct way? you must install converter in front of trans first, Wiggle/push turn,wiggle push till fully seated BUT... at this point? you MUST change the front pump/converter seal, Converter removed, pry/pop the front seal out, tap a new one in, Lube it with some grease, install the converter as I described, What happened is the way you did it? you cut and damaged the front pump seal. You know you need to redo, the seal is cheap, easy fix, Humming? unsure unless converter just not seated 100% and or fluid level problem due to leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will do all that. thank you very much.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

ok,all should go ok , was just the wrong approach